Our Philosophy of Child-Centered Activities:
- Every child learns best by doing
- Every child learns at his/her own pace
- Every child learns through his/her own individual style (visual, auditory, tactile, kinesthetic or a combination)
- Every child brings his/her own unique perspectives to each activity
- A Fall & Spring Scholastic Book Fair
- A Family Literacy Night
- Gym Class Twice a Week – Large motor activities strengthen muscles and develop coordination
- Daily music opportunities in the classroom
- Once a week multi-sensory experience with a talented musician
- A Graduation Celebration showcasing the children’s year-long learning experiences and achievements
UPK at John Pound School
In partnership with the Lockport City School District, the UPK program at John Pound School is available to all Lockport City School residents. This program cultivates academic, social, emotional, and physical success for each child through developmentally appropriate programs. We are now accepting applications for the 2023-2024 school year.
UPK is a FREE program for children in the Lockport City School District who will be 4 years of age on or before December 1, 2023.
Applying for UPK
Applications for the free program for Lockport City School District residents are available through the YWCA of the Niagara Frontier, the Lockport Early Childhood Center, all Lockport Elementary Schools, and the Lockport Board of Education.
To register, you must complete an online application at www.lockportschools.org/registration then
download and complete the forms listed below.
Stop by the John Pound Early Childhood Center at 51 High Street or the YWCA located at 32 Cottage Street to pick up an enrollment packet.
All enrollment packets must be submitted to the Board of Education at 130 Beattie Avenue. Please call (716)478-4811 to schedule an appointment.
In order to register your child for UPK, you will need:
- Child’s original birth certificate
- Proof of residency (NYSEG bill, phone bill, tax, insurance, or bank statement, etc.)
- Registration forms
- Health history forms
- Child’s current immunization record (Shot record)
- Child’s current physician’s report (Physical)
- Child’s current lead screening report
- Child’s current dental evaluation report
- Custody/legal documentation, if applicable
For questions, please contact (716) 478-4751.