Focused on helping victims of sexual and domestic violence find hope and healing.
“One in four girls and one in six boys will become victims of sexual assault before their 18th birthdays. These are more than statistics, they are Niagara County boys and girls, men and women.”
Our Domestic Violence helpline is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our trained staff is always available to provide an immediate response to victims of domestic violence.
To reach our helpline, please call us at (716) 433-6716 or
text (716) 870-9726.
No one deserves to live life in fear. We provide victims of domestic and sexual violence with the following services as alternatives:
- Adult Counseling Program – Provides information on the dynamics of domestic violence and abusive relationships; identifies options, develops safety plans, and offers emotional support and guidance.
- Lockport City Court Advocacy – Provides comprehensive assistance to domestic violence victims including counseling, court accompaniment, and referrals to outside agencies. A YWCA Domestic Violence Victim’s advocate is stationed within the Lockport Police Department. To schedule an appointment, contact (716) 439-6630.
- Educational Support Group – Helps women understand the dynamics of domestic violence in an emotionally supportive environment. Childcare is available.
- Safe Dwelling – Provides temporary, safe shelter to female victims of domestic violence and their children in a residential setting.
- Transitional Housing – Provides the second stage of housing after Crisis Housing with a supportive program.
- Advocacy Program – Provides assistance in securing rights and obtaining services from other agencies.
- Kidstrong– A free children’s support group for children between the ages of 5-13 who have witnessed domestic violence.
**The YWCA of the Niagara Frontier is grateful to 123-CCTV Security Cameras for providing a security system for the safety of the women and children residing in our transitional housing. For information on the importance of recognizing potential teen violence, Rachel Sandle, Prevention Education for the YWCA of the Niagara Frontier, has posted this article on the Security Camera World website.
Rape and Sexual Assault
The YWCA of the Niagara Frontier offers a 24-hour crisis hotline staffed by trained professionals who provide an immediate response to rape and sexual assault victims.
To reach our crisis hotline, please call (716) 433-6716 or text (716) 870-9726.
We provide confidential advocacy for rape and sexual assault victims. From the moment we receive your call on the crisis hotline, a trained advocate is notified and responds within minutes. This advocate will accompany a sexual assault victim to the emergency room for a forensic rape exam, assist them through the criminal investigation process, and be available for crisis counseling on an ongoing basis.
Speakers are available through the YWCA of the Niagara Frontier for education and awareness training to community organizations and general audiences.
Age appropriate curriculum on domestic and dating violence, as well as anger management for grades 3-12, is available for middle school, high school, and university audiences.
KidStrong is a support group for children that have been exposed to family violence. The program works with children ages 4 to 12 years old. The group incorporates age appropriate instruction, therapeutic games, role-plays, worksheets, movement, art therapy, small group discussions regarding the weekly topic, feelings, self-esteem activities, safety planning, and a snack.
The goals of the KidStrong program are as follows:
To help children learn new ways to cope with separation, violence and low self-esteem in an environment where they feel a sense of belonging.
To assist children in building positive social behaviors.
To aid children in gaining self-esteem through a support group that understands and values each child’s uniqueness.
There are no fees to attend. Children may start the program at any time.
Location: 32 Cottage Street, Lockport
Time: 6:00 – 8:00pm
Location: DeGraff Hospital, 445 Tremont St, North Tonawanda, NY 14120